Monday, January 4, 2010

wtf granola??



I was all excited about this cholesterol-free breakfast I love, but the calorie count is pretty much through the roof.  700 calories is ridiculous!  I feel tricked!  Am I just having sticker shock or do you think it's worth it?

Here's what's in it:
1cup granola mix:
low-fat granola with pumpkin seeds and flax seeds
dried cherries
sliced almonds
raw walnuts
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup fruit

Half an english muffin with a tbsp of cream cheese and an egg on top is only 300 calories including my coffee with coffeemate.  Is it worth it to double my calories and go cholesterol-free?  Am I being too anal about the whole thing?  Since I'm only supposed to take in a net of 1600 calories I'm feeling a little miserly.

Also, it's been over a week and I'm still at the same weight.  I kind of feel like I suck.  Maybe I should just take delight in the fact that I didn't gain any weight during the holidays, but I still feel a little defeated.  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. dude, granola is the worst sneaky calories ever. even when it's low fat it's all injected with calories, and I don't know how they do it. I'd say if you want your oats make oatmeal and put lowfat milk on it and fruit on the top - you'll still come out WAY ahead calorie wise and get your mega fiber along with your low cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah dude, granola will get you every time. to give you a another idea about just how many calories it has: i used to eat it with yogurt everyday after weights and it'd still feel like too much. so unless you're trying to gain 5-10 lbs of muscle for soccer, i'd put it down. then again, i think it goes well with harder workouts on the weekend. so maybe its just not a daily meal? good topic though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete