Thursday, January 14, 2010

ab workout ideas




I need to mix up my ab workouts.  Lately I've been doing the wii hula hoop, which has helped a lot, and then the old standard planks - 50 sec straight on and then 50 sec for each side, 50 regular crunches, 50 side twist crunches on each side, and then from my back I extend my legs and draw a circle in the air with my toes, not quite touching my heels to the floor at the bottom of every circle, 25 in each direction.  So that's all well and good, but I need more.  I need a switch hitter to my standards so I don't dread them.  I also don't want them to be too complicated or using machines that everyone uses and I can never get to. 

Today at lunch (just 30 minutes from now) I'm going to try out the captain's chair for a little switch-up.  Shape Magazine's Oct issue (also the inspiration for this blog) had an article on how to work out your abs effectively, and the captain's chair was one of the exercises.  I'm going to try some of their tips and see where it gets me.  This will probably only be a lunchtime one because after work the gym is packed and I'm not in the business of waiting for machines.  Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. ok I did the captain's chair, and it's friggin' HARD! I did about ten extensions and was all beat. Granted, that wasn't the first ab thing I did. I'm going to have to start with that one next time.

    ReplyDelete