Friday, April 1, 2011

Thoughts On Running


I've been doing a little reading up on running these days, since there seems to have been a lot of buzz around barefoot running.  I wanted to know more.  My friend Nate, a writer and runner in Oakland, put out a well-researched article last year on the matter, and other fitness sources, such as Shape Magazine, are also advocates.  What I took away from the research is I'm not convinced barefoot running is my thing, but I have adjusted my stride and am more conscious about how I land on my foot.

I've found that shorter, quicker strides help me run faster with less effort, and I expect that landing more on the middle of my foot rather than my heel will help lessen the sensitivity I've felt in my joints over the last ten or so years.

I want to be able to keep running as a lifelong fitness tool, so being careful now when everything on my body still works is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment