Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Makin' Bread


Recently, I've become hyper-vigilant about the ingredients in my food.  Since Lustig struck a panic in me, I've been suspicious of everything I eat.  The most recent development?  My favorite whole wheat sandwich bread is not as innocent as it looks.  I love the 90 calorie serving size, but I looked closer at the ingredient list and I'm pretty sure at least a quarter of those things listed are preservatives.  Conclusion: nope; I'm out.

More specifically, I'm baking my own bread from here on out.  There's something to be said for making everything from scratch: you know what's in your food.

There are a lot of reasons to bake my own bread, and not really any reasons not to.  Andrew's parents gave us a bread machine a couple years ago so there is literally no work on my part, unless you count scooping the ingredients into the baking bucket and pushing a button.  I just have to be willing to wait 5 hours for the magic to take place.

It's just one more step in my journey to living healthier.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! While I don't bake my own bread, I only buy local organic bread. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete