Thursday, April 28, 2011

Natural Sweet Alternatives

image via Seattle Weekly

Last week I wrote a post about the scary findings in my sugar research. My friend Mina pinged me to ask if there was a natural sweetener I could recommend when you just have to have something sweet.  The short answer is, in the quantities that the average American eats sweets, nothing is really that great, but after looking into it, I determined raw honey and 100% natural maple syrup are the best.

Here's my disclaimer: my research is limited to reading studies and reports done by other people, so unless I find a way to do my own molecular experiments on food, what I know is subject to what other people say.  It's topical.  I'm not a nutritionist and I don't have a doctorate in this stuff - just a passion to find out for myself what's what, and share my discoveries with you.

Well, folks, I have a good read for you:  Kristen of Food Renegade posted yesterday a rundown of natural sweeteners (and impostors).  I consider her an authority on the matter and I highly encourage you to pop over and take a look.  It's a pithy and informative guide.  Also worth reading are the comments below and Kristen's responses.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. makes me feel better about my single sweetening rule - if you can't sweeten it with honey, it doesn't need sweetening.

    ReplyDelete