Thursday, March 17, 2011

Weight Training - The Arnold Press

A lot of people have been asking me, "Monica, how is it that you have such sweet guns?  They're muscular and toned without being bulky."  Actually, people don't ask me that, but they will once I've lost another ten pounds and have shed that winter "coat" of chub that is currently hiding the afore mentioned sweet guns.

In anticipation of the fame and attention I will be dealing with once tank top season is upon us and you gettaloada what I'm talking about, I will be posting (in segments) my body-sculpting techniques now and in the weeks leading up to "the reveal."  All joking aside, I do have a great weight-lifting program that addresses all-over strength and emphasizes higher reps using a more modest weight.  Heavier weights are what put the bulk on your muscle, so when you are not feeling challenged enough, rather than increasing the weight of what you're lifting too often, try increasing your number of reps instead.

Currently in my circuit, I do 15 reps of each of my six exercises, and then start again from the top, completing five circuits total.  The order of my exercises is important, because you have a chance to rest certain muscle groups while you're working others.  This is what my former trainer calls "active rest."  While you're resting a muscle group, work the opposite one, ie: chest/back, biceps/triceps.  It's great for those of us who are trying to squeeze in a workout during our lunch break and want to get the most out of that hour.

For beginners, start with ten reps with 5-pound weights and work on technique before moving up in reps and in weight.  A good stepping process would be: 10 reps with 5lbs, 15 reps with 5 lbs, 10 reps with 7.5 lbs, 15 reps with 7.5 lbs, 10 reps with 10 lbs, 15 reps with 10 lbs, 20 reps with 10 lbs... etc.  If you want to move up to 12.5 lbs, that's your call, but beware lest you get beefy rather than toned.

The first exercise in my circuit is known as the Arnold Press, affectionately named after The Governator, because it will pump [clap] you up.

For my diagram, I wanted to have Schwarzenegger pose for each step, but he's really busy these days balancing California's budget.  However, a friend pulled some strings and was able to enlist the help of his royal highness of rock as my fitness model in today's post.  He's no former body builder, but he does look great in tight pants, so I am happy with the celebrity cameo this go-'round.


fig 1-2: Start with your arms in front of you, elbows at shoulder-height, palms facing you.

fig 2-3: Swing your arms out to the sides, as though you are opening a set of double doors.  Palms should now be facing out.

fig 3-4: Press your weights straight up, then bring them back down.

fig 4-5: Swing your arms back in to the center, as though you are closing the double doors.  Palms should be facing you again

* your elbows should never fall below shoulder height during this exercise

No comments:

Post a Comment