Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday Night Dinner: Chickpeas in a Fragrant Tomato Gravy


I have never been so excited to blog about a recipe in my life.  This dinner was absolutely wonderful.  PLUS, it's low cal and extremely filling.  I adapted it from Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe in Food & Wine magazine last month.  It was fantastically easy, which was exactly what I needed for starting dinner at 7pm.  I got it on the table before 7:30.

Ingredients

  • 2 large yellow onions, chopped
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp pureed ginger
  • 1 tsp pureed garlic
  • 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp corriander seeds
  • 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 six-oz can tomato paste
  • 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • sprinkle of cilantro leaves (optional)

Directions

Cook onions in butter, add the purees, cook some more, add the spices, cook a little more, add everything else. Simmer.

Spoon 1 cup into a bowl, sprinkle with a few cilantro leaves, and serve with 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt and tandoori naan.

Serves 8.
 
 The calorie breakdown includes the greek yogurt and 1 piece of naan.  I know, right??  It's amazing!  You could add something like chicken if you absolutely needed meat, but I don't see it as necessary; it's fantastic as is.  I want to eat this every day all the time.  You will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment