Friday, March 11, 2011

Healthy Breakfast - Best Ever Granola


This post comes to you today as the inspiration of two girlfriends of mine who make eating well a priority.  Koriann of Rain City Kitchen makes all of her friends holiday baskets of treats each Christmas and this past year she included her home made granola that has all of us salivating at its mere mention.  When I ran out last month, I asked if she'd share her recipe, which she generously handed over.  It's fantastically delicious as is, but lately I've been hooked on the recipes and articles posted by my friend Kathy of Nutrition Nerds, so I thought I'd see if I could make  a version that subbed in honey, agave nectar, and maple extract in place of the sugar and syrup, and organic coconut oil in place of canola oil.  It was a total success.  I want to eat this nonstop, which may detract from its healthiness if it's the demise of my will power and portion control.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup pecan halves
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 Tbsp organic coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 Tbsp maple extract

Directions

Mix dry ingredients together and wet ingredients together, then combine, and bake on a parchment lined baking pan (with sides!) at 275 for 40 minutes, stirring at each of the three 10 min marks. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.

As Koriann recommends, it tastes great with yogurt or milk (I prefer plain greek yogurt sweetened with a teaspoon of agave nectar), and as Kathy (who has her own granola recipe) warns, this will indeed make your entire house smell amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment