Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Getting Outdoors


Well hello!  No, I didn't get to go hiking over the long weekend, even though I wanted to so badly.  My weekend, as well as the week prior, was wall-to-wall packed with wedding checklist items.  Bleh.  I did, however, get over to Tiger Mountain the weekend before with a group of friends, including my cousin (pictured above) who is fresh out of college and new to the Seattle area (and no, ladies, he is not single).  I thought it would be a great way to introduce him to resident-hood in Western Washington.  My friend Kathy organizes a weekend hiking group that I tag along with and this was a great first hike of the season.  It was three miles to the summit and fairly steep - 2000-foot gain.  The scenery was fantastic and I wish I would have taken more pictures, but we were all in a mood to just push full speed ahead so I didn't even think about it until we got to the top --completely exhausted.

Hiking this summer will be another part of living better for me.  Three years ago I made it my mission for the spring and summer to accept any invitation (within reason) to go do something active.  And let me tell you - that was one of the most fun and most fit summers of my adult life.  I kayaked the hell out of Lake Union that year.  The two following summers I didn't renew that mission and I really think it was to my detriment.  So this year I'm reviving the "get active" policy.  I have a feeling I'll be hiking the hell out of the Cascades this summer.  Working out doesn't have to be exercise for the sake of exercise, and I need to remind myself that once in a while.

Next scheduled hike: Mt Si on June 12.  Can't wait!

1 comment: