Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Progress Update

When I started this journey thirteen months ago, I thought I'd have accomplished my goal and moved on by now, but it has proven to be a longer process than I originally expected.  I went on vacations, I enjoyed the holidays, and even took a couple wine tasting classes.  My weight went up and down and I barely blinked.  In all honesty, fitness slipped from being my primary focus.

As I mentioned before, Hawaii was my turning point.  As I began on my new journey during that vacation, I had a conversation that really helped me solidify my renewed effort to work out and be healthier.  Andrew and I were lazing around in our room in the condo talking about work and life goals, and I asked him, "do you think I could lose thirty pounds?"  Without hesitating, he said, "yes."  It felt good to have someone support me immediately.  He didn't bring up obstacles or question whether or not my number was realistic, he just told me I could do it.  Other successful people whom I admire have referenced the constant support of a partner or spouse when they decided to take on new things throughout the course of their careers, and I feel lucky that I have that support in my own life. 

Even if I'm over-reaching, having a cheerleader who believes I can do it is a huge motivating factor.  I realized I don't need to set "safe" goals that I know I can accomplish.  Why not try for something I've never done before?  I decided to set loftier goals for myself, and make it a priority.  I can run more miles, I can set a lower goal weight, and I can have a six-pack.  I can do it.

Right now I'm the lowest weight I've been in a couple years and I'm determined to continue tipping that scale and increase my strength.  I can and I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment