Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Bread Recipe


I made another loaf of bread last night so Andrew could have sandwiches for lunch and toast for breakfast.  I'm still tweaking the recipe, but this is the best one so far:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
1-1/4 tsp yeast

I use a bread machine so I literally just pile all of the ingredients in the machine and press a button.  I don't know any special kneading techniques and can offer no advice, other than to get a bread machine.  It's a big piece of equipment, but might be worth the storage space if you think fresh baked bread is important in your life.

Even if you only like white bread, making your own is a trade up from buying sliced bread.  Yes, you're still using refined flour, but what you're avoiding is more important: additives and preservatives to prolong shelf life.  Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment