Thursday, April 29, 2010

Small Steps and Trying New Things

I'm finding that when I get busy I let my fitness plan suffer.  To me, this is an indicator that I am approaching it wrong.  Sure, I want to work toward an ultimate goal and keep the big picture in mind, but when my schedule is full, as it has been lately, it helps me more to focus on smaller tasks to keep on track that way.

Abby and I discussed, and it seems that the secrets to our success in dropping extra poundage two years ago were in focusing on specific changes:
  • drink more water
  • eat more fiber
  • cut out beer
  • spend more time walking
Anyone can do these things, and there is no room for excuses.

It's time to go back to those simpler times and reteach ourselves good habits and make those priorities.  It seems easy when it's not a complete overhaul.  Today's goal:  drink a hell of a lot of water.  It's an easy thing to forget, so taking a day to be conscious of it might just help kick-start that habit again.

Another thing I'm bringing into my life is an hour of gentle yoga.  I've never been really into yoga, but it's worth a shot, right?  My mom gave me some yoga dvds she was bored with, and I'm enjoying them quite well.


The one I've been focusing on lately, Yoga for the Young at Heart, is actually perfect for what I'm looking for: serious stretching.  I may have mentioned that my right knee has been sensitive recently.  I've talked to a physical therapist and gone to see a massage therapist, and the general consensus has been that I need to be stretching more, and stretching right.  In this dvd, SWW doesn't have you do any crazy poses - it's all really simple and low key, but very targeted.  Here's to hoping this works!

1 comment:

  1. i've been doing a little bikram yoga lately - you should check it out. its got all the stretching goodness of regular hatha yoga, but the heat gives your heart more of a workout and i personally like the poses better. let me know how the yoga goes!

    ReplyDelete