Sunday, July 11, 2010

A New Technique

Are you one of those girls who gets bored doing any one work-out too long?  Do you start to dread the work-out you once looked forward to after it stales?  You're in good company, gals.

I've  been traveling for over a week and am missing my work-out buddies who keep me entertained on my runs.  Luckily, the places I've been staying have had work-out facilities I can hit in the mornings, so I haven't had to try to hit the pavement in this east coast heat wave.  The challenge has been the boredom.  Even with my ipod, I don't have as much fun as when I'm with my running group.

Luckily, I've come up with a solution that I just may carry over into an early morning workout routine.  I run for 5-10 minutes, then go do a set of weights.  I usually start with my tricep/bicep switch-off, doing 4 sets of 10 reps each, then back to the treadmill for another 5-10 minutes.  Then it's back to the weights for 4 sets of 10 reps focusing on chest and back.  Back for another 5-10, and then focusing on shoulders and squats, and then round it out with another short run.

On opposite days, I've been doing 20 minutes on the treadmill, sandwiching a single abs work-out, which has been working out great.

The reason I like this is it keeps me sweating, keeps me focused, and keeps me from getting bored.  It's also easier on my poor knee, which I'm trying to save, but without compromising my cardio.  The funny thing is, the weights seem like a break from the running, but by the time I'm done with my weight sets, the running seems like a break.  It's a great system.

If you try this routine, post a note and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment